Monday, April 2, 2012

Three Things Every New Dad Needs to Know

I'm not really very old. I turn 33 on April 11, 2012. I do, however, have three children with a fourth on the way. My wife and I have a big family and we love every minute of it. Here are a few things that I have learned from being a dad for the past 6 years.

  1. Your boys always watching you. Your children see everything you do. They want to be just like you. This is a wonderful and terrifying thought all at the same time. Your children see you caring (or not caring) for your wife. They see how you interact with other people. They see how you love God. It is your responsibility to make sure they are seeing the right things.
  2. You need to make your children tender and tough at the same time. I realize this sounds like a contradiction, but hear me out. You need to raise your children so that they can roll with the punches of life, but still know when they need a shoulder to cry on. Your children need to see you stand tall under pressure, but they also need to see you weep from time to time. It is perfectly legit to cry when your dog gets put down.
  3. You need to teach your children that everyone is the same and different. I know, another contradiction. God made us all the same, but He also made us uniquely different. That is what makes our world such an incredible place. We are all created in His image, but there are awesome varieties in the human race. It is an absolute sin and tragedy to teach your children to discriminate against someone else. Don't think you will? See Item #1 from the list above.
Bonus Item: You need to pray for your children. They can know you are praying for them or you can keep it a secret. The reality is that being a father is the greatest and most challenging thing you will ever attempt. You cannot do it without the help of God. (By the way, I realize this has nothing to do with being a youth pastor or ministry, but I was reading a blog post and felt a little inspired.)

No comments:

Post a Comment