Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Why I Didn't Like The Hunger Games or Cabin In The Woods

I am a huge fan of the movies. I love the entire experience. I love driving to the theater, buying my ticket, getting popcorn and a soda, and watching the movies. Well, I don't enjoy the ridiculous prices, but there is a family-owned theater near where I live, so that helps. Most Friday nights (after the boys are tucked into bed), I'm at the movie theater. I love movies.

With that being said, I did not like the last two movies that I saw. This past weekend I had the opportunity to see Cabin in the Woods and The Hunger Games. You may not be familiar with Cabin, but unless you've been under a rock or in a coma, you know about The Hunger Games. Here's the deal: both movies were incredibly well-done. The acting was top-notch and (at least in regards to The Hunger Games) there are characters that you care about.

Here's my problem with the movies (potential spoilers):

Each movie was based on the premise that there were individuals betting and orchestrating the death of others. Each of the films had individuals who were causing situations that would result in the physical harm and potential death of innocent individuals. And, at times, when one of the characters died, there was great pleasure shown at his or her demise. In one of the films, there was a huge party taking place while one of the characters was being brutalized on-screen.

I had a very hard time with this. I nearly walked out of both films and am upset with myself for not doing so. It is no wonder that we hear stories of brutality and violence taking place and learn that there were bystanders who were cheering the aggressors on. I understand that both films were attempting to critique the nature of such films, but it seems odd that they would use the very same techniques in order to offer criticism.

As a youth pastor, I do my best to keep abreast of what is going on in pop culture. I am concerned about the rash of movies that are coming out that seem to glorify senseless brutality for the pleasure of individuals watching. I pray that it ends soon.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad someone has the sense to see and write the truth about these.

    ReplyDelete