Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Why I Will Never Apologize for Reaching Out to Young Men

I was recently caught up in a disagreement about my desire to train and reach young men, as well as to develop adult male leaders. This is something that I will never apologize for doing.

this does not mean that I am a misogynist or that I believe women are inferior to men. God has blessed both men and women to serve the Body of Christ; we are all blessed to have different roles and abilities that have been uniquely given in order to complement those around us.

I will reach out to young men because I believe that God has called them to lead the church. We need young men who will step up to that responsibility. Too many men in our society (and church) have shirked their God-given responsibility to serve as leaders. I want to reverse this.

I will reach out to young men because God has called them to lead their families. While they may not have family leadership responsibilities yet, the training in the Bible they receive will assist them in the future.

I will reach out to young men in order to train them to be an example to others. I desire a student ministry that is a shining light to the dark world around them, and I want to see the young men stepping up and leading that charge.

I will do these things, but never to the exclusion of the girls. I will seek to disciple and train the young women to be godly young women. Of course, I can only go so far because I am a man. I can, however, train the young men to be godly men.

I will never apologize for doing that.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts man! In our culture, this trend of thought you shared in this blog will always be looked down on by unbelievers and sometimes believers. But they need to understand we are not supporting "men are greater than women." We are just saying God has given men distinct roles of leadership within the church and in their families. You hit the nail on the head when you said "Too many men in our society (and church) have shirked their God-given responsibility to serve as leaders." Men, including young men, need to step up and be what they were created to be. As student pastors, we need to train our young men asap!

    Austin

    ReplyDelete