I am currently working my way through Leaders Who Last by Dave Kraft. The idea of the book is that many leaders have no direction and purpose and, as a result, they do not make it or do not finish well. It is my prayer that this is not the case for me.
In one of the chapters, Kraft lays out a plan for how to determine what one's purpose in life is. What is most striking (and incredibly important) is that Kraft begins his list on the search for purpose by beginning in God's Word.
1. Record Bible passages God has applied to your life.
2. Reflect on how God has used you in the past.
3. Determine what you are passionate about.
4. List your known gifts and strengths.
5. Delineate what you have excelled at in your work experience.
6. Define what action words best describe what you like to do.
7. Write down what you enjoy doing in your free time.
8. Reread all your answers.
9. Take note of common themes.
10. Write down key words or ideas that repeat.
11. Summarize those key words in a short, energizing statement about yourself.
If you are interested in reading the book, please consider purchasing Leaders Who Last from Amazon.com. Every purchase helps The Wanna-Be Preacher pay off his school loans (just kidding...but not really).