Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Much Needed Word of Encouragement

Proverbs 25:11 (ESV) - A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.

As many of you may or may not know, I have wanted to be a pastor for many years. In fact, I originally went to Pensacola Christian College as a Pastoral Ministries major, but different events led me to change my major. Anyway, off and on through the years, I have pursued my call to ministry, but usually to no avail. I did, however, begin my pursuit of the ministry again in December 2010 and have chased after it with a much greater passion this time.

I will be completely honest: it has been an exercise in frustration. I have sent out resumes and have either been turned down or have received no answer at all. Other positions have looked promising, but then have failed to pan out. It has been enough, at times, to make me question what God is doing and why we are going through this.

Then, last week, after I started writing this blog, I received the following note from a friend that I have kept up with off and on since high school:

Felt led to share something with you. I believe that at times we are like every character in the Bible, except the trinity and heavenly hosts. Sometimes we are as committed as Stephen and others as doubtful as Thomas.

David wanted to build a house for God and God told him he wanted to build him first, and we know it was Solomon that built it. You are in your David phase, and when it's time, you'll enter your Solomon phase.

Keep on keeping on and if you don't find a church, start one! I am praying for you as God builds your spiritual house to prepare you for building his church!


Thanks, Kevin. I hope others find as much encouragement in those words as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment