Friday, February 24, 2012

Things I Didn't Know Before I Got Married

I am married to a pretty amazing woman. She's been a blessing and the mother of my four children. However, there are a number of things that I didn't know about her before we got married. It wouldn't have changed my decision, but something tells me we wouldn't have the number of awkward conversations that we've had if I had known these important things.

  1. My wife has never seen Star Wars or any of the sequels or prequels. She has no understanding of who Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, or Princess Leia are. The other day she saw a Millenium Falcon birthday cake at Chick-Fil-A and asked me, "Is that from Star Trek?"
  2. The terms slick shoes, pinchers of power, truffle shuffle, or One-eyed Willie mean nothing to her. The Goonies is, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest movies ever made. When I was growing up, our entire household would stop whenever it was on television. I have seen it more times than I can count and we own the DVD. Yet, my wife has never seen it and, for some unknown reason, has no desire. It's tragic.
  3. My wife does not have an appreciation for the African-American television shows of the 1970s. I recently introduced my boys to the wonders of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids on Netflix. My wife had no idea. She has never seen Sanford and Son, Good Times, What's Happening, or The Jeffersons. I had no idea that the woman I love had no idea about Rerun, J.J. or George and Weezie. Breaks my heart. I took her to see Jimmy Walker perform at the Flamingo in Las Vegas on our honeymoon. I was ecstatic, but she didn't get the appeal.
Here are some things that I do know about my wife.
  1. I love her to death.
  2. She is a wonderful mother.
  3. She has supported me through all of my hare-brained ideas (and there have been a lot of them).
  4. I would not be the man I am today if it wasn't for her.

So, despite the fact that she is woefully ignorant of the things that I deem important, I couldn't ask for a better wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment