Monday, May 7, 2012

Why I Am Still a Wanna-be Preacher

Some time ago, in the midst of my ministry search, someone asked me if I would still be the Wanna-be Pastor after I found a ministry position. Well, last week, my church officially voted to bring me on staff as the part-time Associate Pastor for Children and Youth. I am now a pastor.

So, am I keeping the name? Yes. I am still going to write as the Wanna-be Pastor, but not for the reason you may think. It is not because I am "branded" that way. While I had hoped to have a successful blog, it has not yet happened and my followers and readership is quite small.

The reason that I will continue to be the Wanna-be Pastor is because I know that I have not "arrived" yet. Just because I now have a position as a pastor does not mean that God is finished with me. There are many areas that I know He will continue to mold and shape me in. My knowledge and understanding of Scripture continues to grow each day. My love for people continues to grow. My ability to communicate continues to improve. My understanding of the human heart and the way that sin has wrecked our abilities to interact with each other continues to get deeper. All in all, I will continue to be the Wanna-be Pastor because I want to be much more for the Lord that I am right now. I want to stay humble and teachable in order to serve Him and the people He has entrusted to me the best that I can.

I may be taking this out of context, but I think 1 Corinthians 13:10 fits the situation perfectly:

but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.

No comments:

Post a Comment