Saturday, May 26, 2012

Why I Decided to Quit Memorizing Scripture

Back in December, I made a list of goals for 2012. On that list was the goal to memorize the books of 1 John and James, as well as Romans 5-8. While I don't have the exact number of verses, that is about 300 verses, give or take. That's a lot of verses. Everything was going great...until recently.

I have been using a really great website called Memverse. Memverse allows you enter the verses that you want to memorize and brings them to you for review on a regular interval based on how you self-evaluate your performance. The higher you rate yourself, the longer the interval before you see the verse again. It is a great tool and one that I highly recommend.5:

The problem arose when I started to add too many verses to site. Instead of focusing on 1 John, James, and Romans, I was also attempting to memorize Ephesians 2, Isaiah 53, 1 Corinthians 13, Philippians, and a number of different chapters in Psalms. Needless to say, I was all over the place. I found myself dreading the daily review and it was consuming a large portion of my day.

While I don't think that I am through with memorizing Scripture, I have decided to take a break from Memverse and Scripture memory for the time being. I feel completely burned out and there is little joy in my study. I really think that I overwhelmed myself by thinking I could do it all. With the new ministry position, I have a lot that needs my attention and I can feel myself burning out.

Of course, there are still 6 months left in 2012, so I won't consider this goal a complete failure. It may just need some amending.

No comments:

Post a Comment