Wednesday, January 4, 2012

FinishYear 2012 - Reading Over 3,000 Chapters of the Bible - A Breakdown

The other day in church, my pastor mentioned to the congregation about how I was planning to read over 3,000 chapters of the Bible. Given the fact that the Bible has a little over 1,000 chapters, it would seem that I would be reading the Bible through twice or more. Actually, it doesn't quite work out that way. Let me explain what I am doing.

There are 10 different section that I read each day. The sections are as follows:

  • List 1 - Matthew, Mark, Luke, John (89 days)
  • List 2 - Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy (187 days)
  • List 3 - Romans, 1&2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Hebrews (78 days)
  • List 4 - 1&2 Thessalonians, 1&2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, James, 1&2 Peter, 1,2,3 John, Jude, Revelation (65 days)
  • List 5 - Job, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon (62 days)
  • List 6 - Psalms (150 days)
  • List 7 - Proverbs (31 days)
  • List 8 - Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1&2 Samuel, 1&2 Kings, 1&2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther (249 days)
  • List 9 - Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi (250 days)
  • List 10 - Acts (28 days)
Following that pattern, my reading will break down like this:
  • The Gospels will be read 4 times.
  • The Pentateuch (Genesis-Deuteronomy) will be read twice.
  • The Epistles (Romans-Revelation) will be read 4-5 times each.
  • The Wisdom literature (Job, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon) will be read 6 times.
  • The Psalms will be read at least twice.
  • Proverbs and Acts will be read 12 times each.
  • The Old Testament History and Prophets will be read about 1.5 times.

What it boils down to is 10 chapters per day. I was asked by someone at church as to why I was doing it. My answer: If I want to teach people what the Bible says, I need to know what's in it...deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment