Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sermon - Sin: Knowing Your Enemy

While this issue is hotly debated in some circles, I believe that the most important job of the pastor is to preach God's Word. I have been extremely fortunate to have been given the opportunity to preach at First Baptist Inwood on several occasions. Below, you will find part one of a sermon I preached on May 15, 2011. The sermon was entitled "Sin - Knowing Your Enemy". I would love to have your comments and criticism.

Part One



Part Two



Part Three

1 comment:

  1. I noticed that you went back and forth between the KJV and the ESV. Is it because you were trying not to offend the older folk? Were you trying to make the language clearer for the younger folk? Did you prefer the KJV and only used the ESV to make the church happy (that probably never happens)? Or was there another reason? Or a combination of the above?

    I am not asking this because I am a KJV-only crusader, 'cause I'm not. I am asking because I pastor a church with mostly a KJV-only mentality. I have found that if I read from the KJV, but insert clarification (saying, "or another way it could be said"), the hardliners never even notice that I am referring to another translation. Yet, if I state up front that I am reading from another one, they talk about me and conspire to have me removed ;-)

    You know from seminary the importance of sourcing your material. But is it, in your opinion, absolutely necessary to specifically source every different translation from the pulpit? Just curious about your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete