Thursday, August 11, 2011

I Wanna Be a Pastor

The other day, just for fun, I did a search for "wanna be pastor". I wanted to see if my blog would show up in the search. It didn't, but I came across something just as interesting. I found a play called "I Wanna Be a Pastor". It is the story of a young man who goes to his career counselor and informs him of his decision to pursue the ministry. The counselor then sheds some light on what the job actually entails. Below is a small excerpt of the play:



Counselor: Try this. How many pastors does it take to change a light bulb?

Applicant: How many?

Counselor: One. But three people will tell you it’s about time and they never liked the old light anyway. Two others will tell you the old light was better and they don’t know why everything has to change all the time anyway. Several people will send emails asking why you picked that particular light and tell you about three other lights that are better and at least one person will be glad for the light and will be warming in its glowing.

Applicant: Ya know, I think I might try something easier, like brain surgery.



You can read the rest of the play here.

Author's note: I attempted to contact the author of the play to receive permission to use him material. As of yet, I have not had any response from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment