Thursday, August 4, 2011

This Life is Not About Me

One of the things that I am trying to make true about myself and something that I am trying to instill in my children is that our lives are not our own. I used to joke about Rick Warren's The Purpose-Driven Life because the opening sentence is so hokey: "It's not about you". But in reality, that is a fact. We were put on Earth in order to bring glory to our Father in Heaven. That is our sole purpose. The Westminster Larger Catechism tells us that the chief end of man is to glorify God (Romans 11:36).

With that in mind, my prayer is that I will live a selfless life, one where, when I am done, people can look back and not see me, but see the amazing things that God allowed me to be a part of. A life like this is not easily achieved. This is the reason why I am running the 10K. I want to be able to say to my children, "God allowed me to run so that other boys and girls can have food and water. God let me be a part of something bigger." I want to set an example for them in such a way.

One of my favorite bands is Anberlin. Stephen Christian, the lead singer, is an amazing lyricist and has a real heart for God. I posted a video from their song "Northern Lights." I think it is rather fitting for this discussion.



Purchase the MP3 from Amazon.com: Burn Out Brighter (Northern Lights)
Buy the Album:New Surrender | MP3 Album: New Surrender

No comments:

Post a Comment